Thursday 9 August 2012

No Facebook account? Then you’re a twisted weirdo (or worse!)

Or something like that.

facebook weirdoFrom Forbes.com 06/08/12:

I used to say that “if you’re not on Facebook, it’s possible you don’t actually exist.” I think it’s time to update that, courtesy of Slashdot: Facebook abstainers will be labeled suspicious.

Slashdot flagged a German news story in which an expert noted that mass murderers Anders Breivik and James Holmes both lacked much of a social media presence, leading to the conclusion, in Slashdot’s phrasing, that “not having a Facebook account could be the first sign that you are a mass murderer.”

Oh you’re just pulling my plonker now.

That’s a tad extreme, but I’m seeing the suggestion more and more often that a missing Facebook account raises red flags.

Several years ago I was renowned for my Facebook bashing. Then, in January 2010, I gave in and signed up for a Facebook account – just as an experiment. After a lacklustre few log-ins, I quickly lost interest and winded up deleting my account without even a poke to my name. Does that mean I’m in the same league as a sleazy philander, a rapist, or God frickin’ help me, Anders bloody Breivik?

I do have a twitter account (and I guess this very blog amounts to social media) but I try and maintain a relative degree of distance and anonymity. Call me suspicious, but I’ve kind of always approached the internet in that way.

Anecdotally, I’ve heard both job seekers and employers wonder aloud about what it means if a job candidate doesn’t have a Facebook account. Does it mean they deactivated it because it was full of red flags? Are they hiding something?

Really?

Just because you’re not on Facebook, that doesn’t mean to say you’re a twisted/dangerous individual who should be kept well away from children. Those non-Facebook users might well be engaging in other forms of social media and be well-rounded, law abiding individuals who aren’t torturing young children with disposable lighters as a pastime.  Any half sane employer will realise that.

Facebook is the first port of call for employers to snoop on candidates because it’s the most prolific and the easiest to search. But I don’t see potential employers immediately drawing the conclusion that if a candidate’s not on there, he must be a fricked-up loser who you shouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

Give me strength!

I don't know smile

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I saw that story. What an extremely simplistic way to look at human behaviour. But what can you expect from (some) employers and psychiatrists.

    It was also said that having FB was the sign of having a 'healthy social network'. Which is a logically specious proposition. Having FB doesn't say anything one way or another about the health of your social network (unless having 1000 fake "friends" you never communicate with in a meaningful way indicates having more of a social network than having close ties to a handful of people through the face-to-face, text and email media).

    FB says more about your propensity to be a narcissistic/exhibitionist, voyeuristic procrastinator than anything else :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marlowe - Studies have found heavier facebook users (more friends, more updates, more profile pic changes) are more likely to be narcissists.

    ReplyDelete